Italian PP players wait for further price cuts in July
A major factor behind this expectation is the upcoming settlement of the July propylene contracts. With spot propylene prices being lower this month compared to May, players have been anticipating a price reduction in the contracts. Shortly after the June propylene contracts settled at the end of May, spot propylene prices took a tumble of €100/ton. Since that tumble, prices have softened slightly by a further €15/ton compared to early June.
A source at a South European producer said this week, “We expect propylene contracts to fall by €50-70/ton for July.” A source at a West European producer had larger expectations saying, “We expect propylene to fall by up to €100/ton for next month.”
For the latest weekly analysis of the PP market in Italy, please see Italy PP Polymer Digest (For members only)
Overall the PP market in Italy has been pressured by lackluster economic developments in the region. Plus, poor global economic news has kept a steady stream of import sources available. Currently it is Saudi Arabian origins which are making up the low end of the local price ranges, though some traders have come within a €20/ton range of the low end with European materials hoping to sell some stocks before July. However, there is a gap of €120/ton between the high end of the local PP ranges and the low end which will have to narrow with lower July propylene contracts.
At the same time there is a gap of €40-60/ton when comparing lower European prices in Turkey to the very low end of European prices in Italy as producers look for export markets to take their excess supplies.
To track European PP offers into Turkey, please see Turkey Market Today (For members only)
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Insight: What will drive polymer markets from here? Demand or costs?
- October PP, PE expectations call for minor changes in Türkiye
- Import PE film prices at around-six-month highs in China and SE Asia
- African PP, PE markets fully head north in September
- Rising costs push PET bottle markets to around 4-month highs in Asia
- Mid-Eastern PP and PE markets join rally in September
- Asia’s PS, ABS markets reach multi-month highs on cost support
- LDPE sees larger gains on elusive supply in Europe
- Türkiye’s polymer markets in flux amid bullish costs, lackluster demand
- China’s import PE prices resume uptrend on ongoing cost support