Italy’s polymer imports edge up in 2014
For the full year of 2014, however, Italy’s polymer imports edged up by 1.7% year on year to reach 4,153,987 tons and Germany maintained its spot as the top polymer supplier to Italy with 717,503 tons.
On a product by product basis, Italy imported around 68,000 tons of homo-PP in December, down 10.5% from November and by 6.9% from the same month of 2013. Saudi Arabia outpaced Germany as Italy’s top homo-PP supplier, with the country’s exports totaling 15,853 tons in the last month of 2014. For PP copolymer, imports fell by 17% month on month to 34,000 tons in December, with Belgium remaining the top PP copolymer exporter to Italy with 8,178 tons. When compared to December 2013, copolymer imports are unchanged.
Italy’s LDPE imports were down by 11.6% month over month at 38,000 tons in December. The top three exporters were France (10,567 tons), Belgium (7,713 tons) and the Netherlands (5,255 tons). Imports of LDPE declined 9.5% when compared to December 2013. Imports for LLDPE were up by 10% from the previous month at 22,000 tons and Saudi Arabia became the top supplier of LLDPE with 5,220 tons. LLDPE imports were unchanged year on year. December HDPE imports slipped 20.4% from November to 39,000 tons. Saudi Arabia replaced Germany as the top HDPE exporter with 7,959 tons. When compared to December 2013, HDPE imports were down by 15.2%.
Italy’s PVC imports dropped 20.4% month over month to reach 39,000 tons in December. When compared to December 2013, PVC imports were down by 17%. The top exporter was France with 15,505 tons, followed by Germany (7,343 tons).
PS imports declined around 7.1% from November to 13,000 tons. Belgium was the top supplier to Italy with 4,205 tons. Compared to December 2013, PS imports fell by over 7%.
Meanwhile, Italy’s PET bottle imports surged by 140% from a month earlier in December and reached around 48,000 tons. South Korea was the top PET bottle supplier to Italy with 14,908 tons, boosting its exports by over 200% month on month.
France maintained its spot as the top polymer exporter to Italy in December with 50,613 tons, followed by Germany (50,282 tons) and Belgium (47,412 tons).
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- COVID-19 resurgence weighs on polymer sentiment in Vietnam
- Stats: Turkey’s H1 polymer imports defy pandemic, hit all-time high
- Stats: China’s total PP, PE imports set a new record in H1 2020
- Lackluster demand outweighs tightness in Asian ABS markets
- Will costs drum up support for a 3rd-month-firming in Europe PET market?
- Import PE markets give softening signals in China, SE Asia
- PVC supplies tight, demand robust across Europe
- China’s local PP, PE markets snap nine-week rally
- Turnarounds keep PP supply tight in SE Asia
- European PP market sees step backs from initial July offers