Japan’s Asahi Glass to acquire 59% stake in Thai Vinythai
Solvay owned 75% of Vinythai before the acquisition while its shares now went down to 16%. The remaining 25% of Vinythai belongs to PTT Global Chemical (PTTGC). Vinythai has plants in Thailand’s Rayong province including a 280,000 tons/year PVC plant and a 400,000 tons/year VCM plant.
Asahi Glass reportedly announced that it aims to enhance its chemical business in Southeast Asia with this new acquisition and the business year ending on December 31 will not be affected.
The deal means Solvay will retreat further from PVC production after finalizing its operations in Europe and its Brazilian activities are divested in order to focus more on specialty chemicals and polymers, the reports told.
The acquisition is expected to be completed by the end of June 2017.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Upsurge continues to wreak havoc on Turkey’s PP, PE markets
- PVC rally roars back in Asia as supply worries mount
- China PP, PE markets join global rally after Lunar New Year holiday
- PE, PP and PVC supply crunch exacerbated on US absence, traditional trade flows upended
- European PP, PE markets set for 5th bullish month as shortage bites
- Turkey shattered as PP prices shoot up to surreal levels
- Polymer markets face one of most chaotic times
- Turnaround season set to get underway in Asia
- Crude oil heals COVID-inflicted wounds; now what lies ahead?
- Global shipping turmoil deepens, adding to the upheaval in plastic resins