Japan’s Asahi Glass to acquire 59% stake in Thai Vinythai
Solvay owned 75% of Vinythai before the acquisition while its shares now went down to 16%. The remaining 25% of Vinythai belongs to PTT Global Chemical (PTTGC). Vinythai has plants in Thailand’s Rayong province including a 280,000 tons/year PVC plant and a 400,000 tons/year VCM plant.
Asahi Glass reportedly announced that it aims to enhance its chemical business in Southeast Asia with this new acquisition and the business year ending on December 31 will not be affected.
The deal means Solvay will retreat further from PVC production after finalizing its operations in Europe and its Brazilian activities are divested in order to focus more on specialty chemicals and polymers, the reports told.
The acquisition is expected to be completed by the end of June 2017.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- European players question if bottom is near for PE
- Asian ABS players turn cautious after recent rally
- July PVC dealt lower in Europe, what lies ahead for August?
- China’s Jan-May total polymer imports hit a record of nearly two decades
- India’s local PVC market soars to 6-month high after customs hike
- China’s export PET market faces correction after rising 10% from two-year-low
- Spot propylene moves in opposite directions in Asia and Europe
- European PS hits year-to-date low on July drops
- Turkey’s PP market on par with China, LLDPE and HDPE trade at discount
- Bearish trend persists in July for PP, PE in Mid-East, Africa