Jordanian players wait for Iraqi border to reopen soon
The Prime Ministers said that the Triebel border will resume trading and tourism activities soon and the Safwan border crossing between Iraq and Kuwait can be used until the Triebel crossing is reopened. Haider al-Abadi also reported that officials will work on exemption of 30% taxes for some Jordanian goods and reduction of transportation costs on Jordanian exporters to the country.
A manufacturer said, “Demand has slowed down since June 2016 given the closed borders with many of our exports destinations, especially Syria and Iraq. In addition, due to implementation of 30% customs duties on exports to Iraq, Jordanian exporters were struggling to resume their activities to the country as 70% of their exports go to Iraq. Therefore, they had started to search for alternative export destinations such as Europe and America. However, the recent developments between Jordan and Iraq signaled that the customs duties can be removed for some goods, which will eventually increase the export volumes to the country.”
Meanwhile, Iraq and Jordan also agreed on the establishment of an oil pipeline project which would link the two countries’ two port cities; Aqaba and Basra.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Tightness brings further price hikes in African PP, PE markets
- European PP hits new highs after 3-digit hikes for January
- Turkey’s PP, PE markets open 2021 with supply-driven hikes
- Vietnam’s local homo-PP market retreats for 3rd week on subdued demand
- China’s PE demand wavers amid controls on environmental pollution and electricity use
- January trend takes shape in Egypt’s PP, PE markets
- Stats: Turkey’s 2020 polymer imports set to beat the 2017 record
- China PP, PE markets close 2020 on a soft note; SE Asia feels pressure
- Stats: China’s total PE imports down for 2nd month in November
- Egypt PET markets poised to end the year on a strong note