July PP dealt with discounts in Europe, Aug expectations voiced
Not much activity is foreseen to take place during the summer holidays and therefore widespread expectations for August hint at a mostly stable to softer trend. A packager in Germany said, “We expect rollovers in August as PP supplies are not as ample as PE.”
“We conceded to some discounts compared to the early July levels as buyers resisted higher PP offers and there were more aggressive offers in the market. Overall sentiment is weak and expectations call for a stable to softer trend in August,” a reseller commented.
A distributor of a West European producer, meanwhile, opined, “We think that PP prices have room for further decreases of up to €20/ton in August as demand is not expected to be sturdy in the near term.”
On the upstream front, expectations call for rollovers to slight drops in the next propylene contacts, many players concurred. A distributor in Belgium predicted, “Although July contract level stands below the current spot propylene prices, we expect rollovers or slight decreases for August.”
Weekly average data from ChemOrbis Price Wizard reveal that spot propylene prices on FD NWE basis have retreated by around €30-40/ton since they hit a four-year high in mid-June.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- ABS, PS uptrend falters in China after H1 2020 ends at multi-month highs
- Stats: China’s total PP imports spike in May; Vietnam and India’s rising shares shine out
- Tight supply drives HDPE, LLDPE gains in Southeast Asia
- European PE markets set for 2nd bullish month on rising costs
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East
- Polymer demand cools in Turkey: Is price correction ahead for PP, PE and PVC?