Kenyan converter: May PP, PE increases exceed expectations
Most converters complain about weak demand due to the rainy season in the country. “The May increases exceeded our expectations since overall demand is very slow these days. Buying interest is not expected to improve until the end of July given the low season. Therefore, we are not anticipating further hikes as of next month. Meanwhile, apart from the higher than expected May import prices, locally held availability is problematic. HDPE blow moulding and PP raffia availability is very tight in the distribution market for locally held cargoes,” highlighted a buyer.
So far, import prices are reported at $1100-1140/ton for PP raffia and injection, at $1140/ton for PP fibre, $1140-1150/ton for PP film, $1270-1300/ton for LDPE film, $1250-1300/ton for LLDPE film, $1270-1300/ton for HDPE film and at $1300-1330/ton for HDPE blow moulding on a CFR Mombasa, Kenya, 90 days deferred payment basis.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Initial ABS prices for July see larger increases than PS in Europe
- Supply constraints spark stronger PE trend than PP in global markets
- ABS, PS uptrend falters in China after H1 2020 ends at multi-month highs
- Stats: China’s total PP imports spike in May; Vietnam and India’s rising shares shine out
- Tight supply drives HDPE, LLDPE gains in Southeast Asia
- European PE markets set for 2nd bullish month on rising costs
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem