LDPE markets face supply tightness in major importing countries
According to players in China, PE supplies have been tight, particularly for LDPE, in recent weeks due to several plant shutdowns for the upcoming G-20 Summit which is slated to be held in Hangzhou province on September 4-5. The Chinese government ordered several petrochemical producers to shut their plants for around two weeks in order to reduce pollution ahead of the Summit.
A trader operating in Beijing commented, “Overseas suppliers are reluctant to sell to China nowadays due to relatively lower prices compared to other regions. This caused reduced supply levels for LLDPE and particularly for LDPE.”
According to market talk in Turkey, LDPE supplies from the domestic producer Petkim have been reduced since around early August although players are not sure of the reason. A trader noted, “We are only able to sell LDPE grades for the time being due to limited supplies for this product. Demand for LLDPE and HDPE remains disappointing.”
A second Turkey-based trader stated that LDPE supply is short and they faced delays in their LDPE deliveries from the Middle East. According to him, these delivery delays might be another reason lying behind the LDPE tightness although it may not be widespread. “Supply constraints create a firm sentiment for LDPE grades which, we think, is likely to remain supported by low stock levels in the coming term,” the trader opined.
Meanwhile, players operating in Egypt’s PE markets have also been highlighting the reduced availability for LDPE grades for the last few weeks. Several players commented that LDPE supplies are tightening in the country as import activities are seriously hindered by the ongoing dollar crisis. For their urgent needs, buyers turn to the distribution market where locally held LDPE offers carry a premium over LLDPE and HDPE grades. A trader stated, “This is due to the fact that the two domestic producers, SIDPEC and ETHYDCO, are supplying the market with their sufficient HDPE and LLDPE production.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- European PE markets set for 2nd bullish month on rising costs
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East
- Polymer demand cools in Turkey: Is price correction ahead for PP, PE and PVC?
- China’s rising PET trend takes a pause, but longer-term outlook remains firm
- Uptrend in China’s import PP market continues but cautious mood returns
- Hikes in Asia July PVC offers baffle some buyers, further rally under discussion