LDPE prices felt stronger downward pressure in Europe
As can be seen from the above graph formed by ChemOrbis Price Wizard, PE prices in Italy posted cumulative decreases of €132/ton for LDPE, €82/ton for LLDPE and €34/ton on average for HDPE film since the beginning of October.
In Europe, competitive non-European offers have recently exerted a further pressure on LDPE prices, which caused local prices in Italy to hit a four-month low this past week.
Now, there are some players who believe that prices are bottoming out considering the larger sizes of LDPE drops as well as the higher energy complex. European players believe that the December outlook may remain stable even if ethylene settles higher due to limited working days and they expect to see some increases by January.
However, hike attempts are also likely to show up after LDPE prices hit a four-month-low. A West European producer noted, “We have already settled November contracts with decreases despite stable ethylene outcome. As for December, we expect higher ethylene contracts and we might ask for some increases in order to recover our margins.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Upstream keeps China PET afloat; prices hit 11-month high
- Import PVC uptrend loses momentum in Asia; is the 9-month rally coming to an end?
- Tightness brings further price hikes in African PP, PE markets
- European PP hits new highs after 3-digit hikes for January
- Turkey’s PP, PE markets open 2021 with supply-driven hikes
- Vietnam’s local homo-PP market retreats for 3rd week on subdued demand
- China’s PE demand wavers amid controls on environmental pollution and electricity use
- January trend takes shape in Egypt’s PP, PE markets
- Stats: Turkey’s 2020 polymer imports set to beat the 2017 record
- China PP, PE markets close 2020 on a soft note; SE Asia feels pressure