Local HIPS regains its premium over GPPS in Turkey
Source: ChemOrbis Price Wizard
In the distribution market, the overall GPPS range was down $30/ton on the low end to be reported at $1920-2010/ton ex-warehouse Turkey, cash inc VAT amidst the recent downward corrections in the import market and mediocre demand. Yet, local GPPS prices between $2060-2100/ton were talked over the past one month in tandem with rising costs of imports. “These prices were deemed overrated by many players while the increases lost steam in line with the easing supplies in the locally-held market,” a distributor commented.
However, the HIPS tightness remains in place as many distributors confirmed having no material on hand to offer, which helped the market to hold flat. The overall HIPS range was unchanged on the week at $2050-2125/ton inc VAT. A manufacturer commented, “The downward pressure on GPPS is more visible as supply for HIPS remains tight while it is comparatively ample for GPPS.”
Lower feedstock costs in Europe and Asia are in line with falling crude oil prices, which has been hovering below $48/barrel recently. These continue to weigh down on Turkey’s PS market despite the high season. On another note, the lack of PS supplies from Iran ahead of Newroz Holiday may counterbalance weak demand and keep the softening in check to some extent, players remind.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Initial ABS prices for July see larger increases than PS in Europe
- Supply constraints spark stronger PE trend than PP in global markets
- ABS, PS uptrend falters in China after H1 2020 ends at multi-month highs
- Stats: China’s total PP imports spike in May; Vietnam and India’s rising shares shine out
- Tight supply drives HDPE, LLDPE gains in Southeast Asia
- European PE markets set for 2nd bullish month on rising costs
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem