Local PP prices propelled up by tight supplies in China
Local prices for homo-PP raffia have increased by more than CNY100/ton ($15/ton) so far, mostly erasing the losses recorded throughout August.
Several other factors including higher futures prices as well as improving buying sentiment ahead of the week-long National Day holiday to take place in early October were also cited as other supportive factors.
A few traders opined, “Local PP prices were firmer for the second week in a row due to tight supplies as well as stronger futures prices. Local PP supplies are currently tight as some producers are having turnarounds at their plants. The overall operating rates are also low. Plus, there are some replenishment activities ahead of the approaching National Day holiday.”
Meanwhile, the ongoing rally in spot propylene prices in Asia is expected to support the sellers over the near term. The weekly average of spot propylene prices in Asia has also reached their highest levels in approximately 4 years, according to data from ChemOrbis Price Wizard.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Supply constraints spark stronger PE trend than PP in global markets
- ABS, PS uptrend falters in China after H1 2020 ends at multi-month highs
- Stats: China’s total PP imports spike in May; Vietnam and India’s rising shares shine out
- Tight supply drives HDPE, LLDPE gains in Southeast Asia
- European PE markets set for 2nd bullish month on rising costs
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East