Local PP prices propelled up by tight supplies in China
Local prices for homo-PP raffia have increased by more than CNY100/ton ($15/ton) so far, mostly erasing the losses recorded throughout August.
Several other factors including higher futures prices as well as improving buying sentiment ahead of the week-long National Day holiday to take place in early October were also cited as other supportive factors.
A few traders opined, “Local PP prices were firmer for the second week in a row due to tight supplies as well as stronger futures prices. Local PP supplies are currently tight as some producers are having turnarounds at their plants. The overall operating rates are also low. Plus, there are some replenishment activities ahead of the approaching National Day holiday.”
Meanwhile, the ongoing rally in spot propylene prices in Asia is expected to support the sellers over the near term. The weekly average of spot propylene prices in Asia has also reached their highest levels in approximately 4 years, according to data from ChemOrbis Price Wizard.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Styrene prices sink to multi-month lows in Asia and Europe
- European PET posts double-digit decreases for October
- PVC downturn gains pace in Asia on Taiwanese major’s larger-than expected drop
- Asian spot propylene regains premium over ethylene for first time since 2013
- Import LDPE, LLDPE prices almost back at par with ethylene in China
- Turkish players voice early PP, PE expectations for November
- Thin buying cushions impact of PVC shutdowns across Europe
- China’s PP market makes a strong start to post-holiday period
- Asian ethylene-naphtha spread narrows to 3-year low
- Local PVC markets plunge in India, Southeast Asia