Local PVC markets plunge in India, Southeast Asia
In India, the market sentiment remained weak although the monsoon season is ending and crude oil futures have surged. Converters elected to limit their purchases for October, pointing to unstable economic conditions. Accordingly, a local PVC producer cut its prices by INR3000/ton ($41/ton) as of October 1.
Data from ChemOrbis Price Index suggest that the weekly average of local PVC prices in India has hit its lowest level since December 2017.
There was a similar situation in the local PVC markets across Southeast Asia.
In Vietnam, a local producer applied visible decreases of VND1,400,000-1,800,000/ton ($60-77/ton) on its October PVC offers, saying, “We don’t have any export allocation for this month as our supply is not high. VCM costs are high while crude oil futures are surging. Despite these factors, the market remains on a soft note in the face of unsupportive demand. We hope that buying interest will gradually pick up as the rainy season is about to end.”
Vietnam’s local PVC k67 market has decreased to this year’s lowest level, according to ChemOrbis Price Index data.
Traders in Malaysia reported that locally-held PVC 67 prices were also down by MYR200/ton ($48/ton) on the week. A packaging converter opined, “The market is full of uncertainty. The end of the year is approaching, yet demand is still slow. Spot ethylene prices are not responding to the bullish crude oil and the overall sentiment remains fragile.”
The weekly average of PVC k67 prices on FD Malaysia basis has hit its lowest level since mid-December 2017 as ChemOrbis data reveal.
A producer in the Philippines lowered its new offers significantly by $90/ton from last month. “Buyers are accepting our new offer levels as they need to replenish their stocks for Christmas preparations. The depreciation of the peso is keeping them away from the import market,” a producer source said.
Following the producer’s sizeable drop, the local PVC k67 market sank to an almost 10-month low.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Ethylene prices hit fresh lows in Asia, Europe; US holds steady
- ABS prices see more-than-a-year low in Asia, Europe
- Styrene prices sink to multi-month lows in Asia and Europe
- European PET posts double-digit decreases for October
- PVC downturn gains pace in Asia on Taiwanese major’s larger-than expected drop
- Asian spot propylene regains premium over ethylene for first time since 2013
- Import LDPE, LLDPE prices almost back at par with ethylene in China
- Turkish players voice early PP, PE expectations for November
- Thin buying cushions impact of PVC shutdowns across Europe
- China’s PP market makes a strong start to post-holiday period