Local PVC prices firm up in China
A source from a second local acetylene based PVC producer added, “Coal costs have been increasing since the end of the Chinese New Year holidays, which has pushed acetylene based PVC prices up. Most producers are still running their plants with negative margins due to higher costs on one side and persistently sluggish demand on the other. However, we are still expecting a firm trend for the near term as we believe that the local market will continue to find support from upstream costs.”
A trader also stated, “Local acetylene based PVC prices remain high as producers are standing firm on their offers in line with higher costs. Demand remains disappointing as buyers are not in a rush to replenish thanks to their sufficient stocks. Meanwhile, future prices have posted some increases recently, which might also help support high PVC prices over the short term. Still, we are not feeling confident regarding the near term market outlook.”
May PVC futures prices on the Dalian Commodity Exchange are up CNY220/ton ($35/ton) week over week as of the close of trading on Wednesday, March 25.
In China, acetylene based PVC prices are currently reported at CNY5300-5500/ton ex-warehouse China, cash including VAT ($741-769/ton without VAT), with the high end indicating an increase of CNY100/ton ($16/ton) week over week.
In line with higher prices for acetylene based PVC, conventional PVC prices also witnessed weekly increases of CNY100/ton ($16/ton) to be reported at CNY6000-6100/ton ($839-853/ton without VAT) with the same terms.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Post-holiday hikes carry China homo-PP market to 1-year high
- Asia PVC markets see longest rising streak ever on extreme tightness
- Africa polymers: October offers higher amid reduced availability
- Stable to softer PE trend prevails in Europe amid soft demand, poor netbacks
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets move up, but riddled with uncertainties
- India, SEA PVC markets unlikely to take respite from bullish run for November
- Southeast Asia PET markets move sideways during China’s absence
- Egypt’s import PE market up on tight supply, domestic offers follow suit
- Will European PS, ABS track divergent paths for another month?
- Turkey PP and PE regain premium over China, LDPE fails to make a sprint