Locally-held ABS trades below imports in Turkey
However, the impact of rallying costs of import ABS found limited reflection in the locally-held market since then as the vulnerable economic and political environment kept activity cautious and put a cap on larger hikes from distributors.
Currently, the locally-held ABS natural injection market stands below the import market on a weekly average, as can be seen in the graph below:
Source: ChemOrbis Price Wizard
“South Korean ABS natural prices posted a new round of increases for February to stand at $1800-1850/ton CIF Turkey, cash. We just started to persuade buyers to accept $1850/ton ex-warehouse Turkey, cash not inc VAT,” complained distributors.
Some players pointed to the cash flow issues going on in Turkey’s polymer markets, saying, “This situation still forces a few distributors to concede to prices below their replacement costs.”
Sellers hope that demand may improve a bit in the second half of the month as USD/Turkish lira parity eased down to below 3.77 recently. Plus, China’s ABS market may return from holiday on a strong note amidst limited styrene, butadiene and ABS supplies in Asia which could pave the way for additional increases in Turkey, they remind.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Stats: China’s total PP, PE imports set a new record in H1 2020
- Lackluster demand outweighs tightness in Asian ABS markets
- Will costs drum up support for a 3rd-month-firming in Europe PET market?
- Import PE markets give softening signals in China, SE Asia
- PVC supplies tight, demand robust across Europe
- China’s local PP, PE markets snap nine-week rally
- Turnarounds keep PP supply tight in SE Asia
- European PP market sees step backs from initial July offers
- Focus turns to August in Turkey: PP and PE players sidelined amid blurry outlook
- SEA PE uptrend intact, yet increases capped by reduced demand