Locally-held ABS trades below imports in Turkey
However, the impact of rallying costs of import ABS found limited reflection in the locally-held market since then as the vulnerable economic and political environment kept activity cautious and put a cap on larger hikes from distributors.
Currently, the locally-held ABS natural injection market stands below the import market on a weekly average, as can be seen in the graph below:
Source: ChemOrbis Price Wizard
“South Korean ABS natural prices posted a new round of increases for February to stand at $1800-1850/ton CIF Turkey, cash. We just started to persuade buyers to accept $1850/ton ex-warehouse Turkey, cash not inc VAT,” complained distributors.
Some players pointed to the cash flow issues going on in Turkey’s polymer markets, saying, “This situation still forces a few distributors to concede to prices below their replacement costs.”
Sellers hope that demand may improve a bit in the second half of the month as USD/Turkish lira parity eased down to below 3.77 recently. Plus, China’s ABS market may return from holiday on a strong note amidst limited styrene, butadiene and ABS supplies in Asia which could pave the way for additional increases in Turkey, they remind.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- India import PVC market recedes from all-time high on COVID-hit demand
- Stats: China’s total PP, PE imports in Q1 mark lowest volume in a year
- Vietnamese PE buyers hold off purchases on fears of further price pullback
- European PS on brink of a softer trend after 6 months
- Turkish PP and PE players voice bearish expectations for May
- China’s local homo-PP prices slide below imports
- Irregular PE origins emerge at competitive prices in Europe
- Mid-Eastern sellers backpedal in Africa on competitive PP, PE offers from Asia
- European PVC set to extend longest rising streak into May
- Downtrend continues in Turkish PP, PE markets amid Ramadan lull