Locally-held PP, PE prices firm up in Vietnam
A trader based in Vietnam lifted its offers for Saudi Arabian LLDPE film and homo-PP raffia by VND200,000/ton ($9/ton) from last week. “We couldn’t apply any larger increases on our offers as demand is still not that strong,” he said.
Another trader affirmed, “Buyers still tend to show resistance to higher offer levels. However, we believe that the recent increases will prove sustainable in the near term since we expect demand to improve ahead of the holidays in mid-February.”
On the buyers’ side, a packaging converter reported that locally-held offers for Saudi Arabian homo-PP and LLDPE film increased by VND500,000/ton ($22/ton) when compared to last week.
The buyer noted, “Sellers justify their firmer prices by citing their lower stocks. Plus, demand from converters is not bad due to the preparations for Chinese New Year. We already secured enough material to cover our needs until the end of January. However, we are now planning to make some purchases for February.”
A second Vietnamese converter commented, “Locally-held PP and PE prices are tracking a stable to firmer path this week. Traders claim that they have limited availability, particularly for LLDPE. Demand towards our end products is still not great.”
Prices for locally-held PP and PE currently stand at VND29,700,000-30,500,000/ton ($1202-1234/ton without VAT) for homo-PP raffia, at VND32,000,000-33,000,000/ton ($1295-1335/ton without VAT) for LDPE film, at VND29,500,000-30,500,000/ton ($1194-1234/ton without VAT) for LLDPE film and at VND32,500,000-33,500,000/ton ($1315-1356/ton without VAT) for HDPE film, all on FD Vietnam, cash equivalent inc VAT basis.
According to data from ChemOrbis Price Index, the weekly average of local HDPE film prices in Vietnam is currently standing at its highest level since August 2015.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Supply constraints spark stronger PE trend than PP in global markets
- ABS, PS uptrend falters in China after H1 2020 ends at multi-month highs
- Stats: China’s total PP imports spike in May; Vietnam and India’s rising shares shine out
- Tight supply drives HDPE, LLDPE gains in Southeast Asia
- European PE markets set for 2nd bullish month on rising costs
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East