Lower naphtha weighs on March expectations for ethylene in Europe
A West European PVC maker commented, “Lower spot naphtha costs may hinder new increases in the upcoming settlement although spot ethylene prices have not registered any major changes since the start of February.” Another regional producer commented that the market was stuck between the losses in upstream costs and maintenance shutdowns at some regional crackers, which makes it hard to predict the upcoming trend.
A PE distributor in Germany even thinks that new ethylene contracts might settle with some decreases considering lower energy and naphtha costs. “Plus, the ethylene market is well supplied,” he added.
According to a manufacturer in Germany, the PE outlook might weaken next month if downstream demand remains modest. Plus, lower energy prices might weigh on ethylene contracts. Players in Italy also said, “If PE demand remains slow, further hikes would be difficult to apply for sellers especially in case ethylene contracts do not increase.”
The PE market across Europe has already been less firm than the PP market due to lack of supply concerns. Sellers’ PE hike targets exceeding the €20/ton gain of the monthly ethylene contracts have widely failed while rollovers have even been reported in some PE deals as sellers yielded to stagnant demand in the face of their sales pressure.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Turkey’s stormy week: Hike attempts emerge after 4 months in PP, PE markets
- PVC markets fail to extend gains to Oct on economic woes, low demand in Asia
- Sentiment cautiously rebounds in Asian PP, PE markets
- Asian monomer markets react after crude oil surge
- September hikes meet resistance for ABS in Europe
- Turkey’s import PP market slumps to 3-year low on supply glut, low demand
- Import PVC demand dampened in Europe, Turkey; will it improve in H2?
- Chinese PET producers attempt for hikes first time since July
- Uptrend in spot styrene prices curtailed in Asia
- Spot LDPE, LLDPE prices hit a decade low in Italy