Malaysian buyers begin to switch from acetylene to ethylene based PVC
A converter reported receiving an offer for Thai PVC at $910/ton CIF Malaysia, cash. “We had been using acetylene based PVC, but now we are switching back to conventional PVC as ethylene based materials are even cheaper than acetylene based cargoes in some cases. We are seeing regular demand for our end products, but we do not expect to see a general pick up in demand until the second quarter of 2015,” the buyer stated.
A Chinese ethylene based PVC producer reported offering at $900-910/ton FOB China, cash and at $930/ton CIF Malaysia. “We are receiving a good number of inquiries from Malaysia these days as many converters in that country are considering switching back to ethylene based PVC and away from acetylene based PVC as acetylene based cargoes have lost their competitive advantage,” a producer source commented.
Import prices for conventional PVC currently stand at $900-940/ton CIF Malaysia, cash equivalent basis.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Import PE prices fall to lowest in more than a decade across Asia
- Tightness pushes Asian PVC markets to 3-month high
- China’s PE market continues bearish run on sluggish demand
- PP and PE markets turn softer in Egypt, Mid-East
- European PET extends bearish trend into 3rd consecutive month
- European PS, ABS markets down after 4 months
- Thai PP, PE markets subdued by slowing economy, competitive imports
- Vietnam’s PE market extends losses into June on frail demand
- Asian spot naphtha prices pull back from multi-month highs
- China gears up for new PP start-ups in H2 2019