March PP hikes go beyond propylene increase in Europe
A West European producer revealed March sell ideas with €100-110/ton increases in the contract market. A producer source said, “We are planning to see double of the monomer increase at least. Demand is strong as the peak season begins for many injection applications. Plus, supply is limited due to the output disruptions in many PP plants and crackers.”
Distributors who started to offer with €100/ton increases in line with the guidelines from their suppliers, meanwhile, said that they will slightly revise their requests down to €70-80/ton. A distributor reported to have sold with €80-85/ton increases from February although their West European supplier started to offer with €100/ton increases in the first place.
Regarding demand, sellers and buyers are at odds. Converters are planning postpone their purchases due to the rising trend. “If prices post €100-110/ton increases, we will limit our purchasing volumes to the bare minimum or delay purchasing if possible,” said a buyer. On the other hand, sellers anticipate stronger demand in March owing to the low inventories on the buyers’ side as they had limited their purchases in the previous months.
Considering the ongoing tightness, the uptrend in the European PP market is likely to continue in the medium term, according to market participants. They believe that market fundamentals will ease once imported volumes from Asia will resume in Europe.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Major LDPE markets touch multi-year highs on growing tightness
- A prospect for Q4 through uncharted waters of 2020 amid pandemic
- China's import PP markets maintain uptrend under shadow of oil-driven losses in Dalian futures
- Weaker domestic demand prompts Vietnam to export polymers
- European PP market ceases upward trend in September
- Force majeure declarations rock the boat in Turkish PVC market
- China’s PE uptrend fueled by US force majeures; LDPE soars to more than 1-year high
- Stats: China’s cumulative PP imports in Jan-July 2020 reach record-high
- Sept PP, PE trend begins to take shape in Saudi Arabia
- Sept expectations voiced in Europe; ABS draws rosier picture than PS