Market share of American PVC shrinks in Turkey, grows in China
Turkey imported almost 71,000 tons of PVC from the US in the first 11 months of 2016, implying a yearly decrease of more than 40%. When the data for December is released, the size of the decrease for American PVC imports is not expected to change much for the full 2016. US PVC imports had also fallen 29% in 2015 and by 24% in 2014 year-on-year.
Some players attributed this situation to the increased antidumping duties applied on US PVC imports as of the summer of 2015, while others argued that it is in direct proportion with the overall contraction of the PVC market size in Turkey.
Turkey’s PVC imports have been shrinking steadily since 2014. Overall imports fell by around 4.5% in 2014 and 9% in 2015 while the yearly decrease of January-November 2016 has already outpaced these two years as it stands at 14%.
You can track and compare Turkey’s imports by country and by product on a monthly, yearly and cumulative basis.
In the case of China, imports of US PVC, however, show an opposite trend as this origin raised its market share in January-November 2016 to more than 235,000 tons. PVC imports from the US grew by 5% on a yearly basis in this timeframe following a yearly slump of 5% in 2012, 28% in 2013, 2% in 2014 and around 1% in 2015. The loss of market share for US PVC in China’s import market appears to have lost speed after the huge drop in 2013 while it reversed the trend this year.
The 5% increase in PVC imports from the US was achieved despite the fact that China’s overall PVC imports shrank by 11% in January-November 2016.
Please visit China’s import statistics by country and by product to make comparisons on a monthly, yearly and cumulative basis.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- September hikes meet resistance for ABS in Europe
- Turkey’s import PP market slumps to 3-year low on supply glut, low demand
- Import PVC demand dampened in Europe, Turkey; will it improve in H2?
- Chinese PET producers attempt for hikes first time since July
- Uptrend in spot styrene prices curtailed in Asia
- Spot LDPE, LLDPE prices hit a decade low in Italy
- Saudi major globally applies significant drops on PE for Sept
- Malaysia’s local PE market dives to a decade low
- Homo PP offers below $1000 pervade China’s import market
- PP, PE prices in Mid-East and Africa set to remain weak until end of Q3