May expectations shaping up in Italy’s PVC market
Spot PVC prices are quoted at €830-920/ton for k67 and at €800-950/ton for specialty grades FD, 60 days deferred payment. Central European cargoes continue to form the high end of the PVC ranges for specialty grades, which resulted in thin buying interest for these origins.
A West European producer settled their April PVC contracts with increases of €75-80/ton from last month. A producer source reported, “Supply is short this month while demand is good. We only supplied to our regular customers. For May, we project a new round of increases given higher spot ethylene prices.”
Another West European producer concluded some spot PVC deals up €100/ton from last month, pointing to higher feedstock costs as the main reason behind their strong hikes. A source from the producer projects a trend similar to this month for May considering that ethylene supply is likely to remain short.
An agent of a Central European supplier concluded some April PVC deals with increases of up to €160/ton, commenting, “Supply was quite short and we sold out our allocation in the first half of the month. For May, our supplier might maintain their firm stance since availability constraints are likely to remain in place. However, we think that PVC prices will post smaller increases compared to this month.” A distributor sold Central European PVC €120-150/ton above last month after stepping back from his initial hike requests of up to €170/ton. For May, the seller projects further increases, but in smaller amounts.
A compounder commented, “We paid increases of €50/ton on our early April deals, but our West European supplier is now aiming for slightly larger hikes of €70/ton while they don’t have any availability left for this month.” Another compounder made some purchases with increases of €80-90/ton for April from his West European suppliers. The buyer projects further firming for May prior to a possible softening in the June-July period.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Turkey’s PE market extends drops on competitive US cargos, lukewarm demand
- Vietnam’s import PP raffia market hits lowest since late 2016
- Spot styrene prices in Europe find mild support from upcoming turnarounds
- Export PET prices from China signal stabilization after 6 weeks of declines
- SEA PE market remains under pressure from flood of competitive US offers
- PS markets plunge to 3-year low in China, SEA
- Yuan devaluation sends import LLDPE, HDPE back to 10-year low in China
- PET markets hit two-year low in China, SEA
- Naphtha hits lowest of 2 years in Europe, 8 months in Asia; eyes on oil
- Downturn halts in Europe’s PP, PE and PVC markets ahead of holidays