NA plastics machinery shipments rise for 3rd straight quarter
Shipments of primary plastics equipment (injection molding, extrusion, and blow molding equipment) for reporting companies totaled US$312.1 million in the second quarter. This was up 2% from the same period last year, although it was down 5.6% from Q1. Year to date, shipments are up 7.6% compared with the first two quarters of 2015.
“Gains in the US GDP were disappointing in the first half of 2016, but economic growth will be closer to the long-term trend in the second half of the year,” said Bill Wood, of Mountaintop Economics & Research Inc., the plastics market economist who analyzes and reports on the plastics machinery market for the CES. “This means consumer demand for plastics products will gradually increase for the foreseeable future. Our outlook for the economy is little changed – annual, real GDP growth will be in the range of 2% due primarily to a slow, but steady improvement in wages and household incomes resulting from stronger employment levels,” he added.
As for the major end-markets, the respondents to the Q2 survey expect that medical and packaging will enjoy the strongest growth in demand for plastics products and equipment in the coming year. The expectations for the automotive market are mixed. Expectations for all other end-markets call for steady-to-better demand to prevail in 2016.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- European PP hits new highs after 3-digit hikes for January
- Turkey’s PP, PE markets open 2021 with supply-driven hikes
- Vietnam’s local homo-PP market retreats for 3rd week on subdued demand
- China’s PE demand wavers amid controls on environmental pollution and electricity use
- January trend takes shape in Egypt’s PP, PE markets
- Stats: Turkey’s 2020 polymer imports set to beat the 2017 record
- China PP, PE markets close 2020 on a soft note; SE Asia feels pressure
- Stats: China’s total PE imports down for 2nd month in November
- Egypt PET markets poised to end the year on a strong note
- China ABS prices move below SEA after 8 months