October expectations shaping up in the European PVC market
A distributor based in Switzerland concluded some deals for West and Central European PVC with rollovers from last month. The seller commented, “The market is calm and buyers are purchasing on a needs only basis. For October, we are anticipating a mainly stable trend, assuming that feedstock costs aren’t hinting at any major changes.”
In Italy, a distributor sold West European PVC at stable levels for September and stated that demand is sluggish due to the slow end product business. Regarding the October outlook, the seller is projecting a mostly steady trend with possible decreases, commenting that the PVC market might not support any increases.
A pipe producer reported receiving stable September offers for European material, but elected to buy Mexican PVC from the import market. He stated that demand is calm and he expects to see a stable trend in October as well. A compounder made some purchases from his regular European suppliers with rollovers for September. “Our end product demand is stagnant so we are cautious with our purchases. For October, we think that PVC prices will remain mostly stable as suppliers won’t be able to issue any increases considering thin buying interest,” he noted.
A packaging producer in Germany reported that he is still negotiating with his suppliers for his September PVC contracts and he expects to close his deals with rollovers from last month. For October, the buyer expects to see a downward trend, commenting that demand isn’t strong in the pipe sector and the market isn’t supporting any increases.
A pipe and profile producer in the Netherlands obtained slight discounts of €10/ton for his spot purchases. The buyer received flat offers for September PVC contracts, but he is negotiating to achieve slight reductions from the contract market as well. The buyer reported, “Demand is good in the Benelux, Germany and France. For October, one of our suppliers told us that ethylene costs will increase, but we think that the outlook is rather soft.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Styrene prices sink to multi-month lows in Asia and Europe
- European PET posts double-digit decreases for October
- PVC downturn gains pace in Asia on Taiwanese major’s larger-than expected drop
- Asian spot propylene regains premium over ethylene for first time since 2013
- Import LDPE, LLDPE prices almost back at par with ethylene in China
- Turkish players voice early PP, PE expectations for November
- Thin buying cushions impact of PVC shutdowns across Europe
- China’s PP market makes a strong start to post-holiday period
- Asian ethylene-naphtha spread narrows to 3-year low
- Local PVC markets plunge in India, Southeast Asia