PE players in China discuss Oct outlook; restarts come into play
The National Day holidays which will take place for one week in October are also seen as a factor to slow down the market. “LLDPE demand is already poor despite the high season for agricultural film and it will be even slower in October in the face of increasing supply levels coupled with the upcoming holidays,” a player opined.
Market sources note that China’s Shenyang Chemical restarted its 100,000 tons/year LLDPE plant in Liaoning province on September 16. The plant was shut on August 15 for a scheduled maintenance. Sinopec Sabic Tianjin Petrochemical is also set to restart its 300,000 tons/year HDPE plant and LLDPE plant with the same capacity on September 25 following a turnaround. These plants were shut on August 11. Shanxi Yanchang Petroleum’s 600,000 tons year HDPE/LLDPE swing plant is also expected to be restarted as of September 5 following a maintenance, which started on August 10.
A trader operating in China reported last week, “We believe that Shenyang Petrochemical’s LLDPE line and Shanghai Golden Philips Petrochemical’s HDPE line will be restarted this week. Therefore, supply of HDPE and LLDPE is expected to increase. Plus, October will be a short month due to the one-week long National Day holidays. We expect PE prices to go down in the short term.”
Apart from these, Lanzhou Petrochemical is planning to restart its three plants at the end of September after turnarounds started in August. The company shut its 360,000 tons/year HDPE/LLDPE swing plant on August 7 while the company’s 170,000 tons/year HDPE plant and 200,000 tons/year LDPE unit at the same site were shut on August 11.
A trader who also expects supply to increase gradually noted, “Fushun Petrochemical has shut their old HDPE line with 150,000 tons/year production capacity from September 15 to 22. Zhongsha Tianjin’s 300,000 tons /year LLDPE and HDPE plant with the same capacity is also expected to be restarted on September 25. The producer had started maintenance on August 15.”
Another trader reported, “Fushun Petrochemical just restarted their HDPE line while Zhongmei Yulin and Tianjin Lianhoe just restarted their LLDPE line recently.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- PE and PVC imports from US flooding Europe
- Indonesia’s polyolefin markets sustain uptrend
- Asian PVC markets shaken by sharp fall in Taiwanese major’s Apr pricing
- March PE prices take split paths in Africa, Mid-East
- Asian PS markets touch 4-month high amid volatile styrene
- Turkey’s PP market attracts deep-sea origins at 4-month high
- European ABS rebounds from 3-year low
- Firming persists in Vietnam’s PE market, shrugging off ethylene
- European styrene continues to climb up, Asia remains cautiously firm
- PP market up from a year-low in Europe; yet hikes beyond C3 see resistance