PET prices fail to rebound from near 3-year low in Asia, Europe
Small hikes sought to halt downturn in Europe
Across Europe, sellers initially sought rollovers to hikes albeit in small amounts for October. However, these hikes have not found acceptance among market players and the PET market has mostly stabilized at its lowest level since December 2016 in Italy, according to the weekly average of ChemOrbis Price Index.
These hike requests, in the first place, emerged in an attempt to bring an end to the downtrend in Europe, according to some players.
European PET markets largely weakening for more than a year
This is due to the fact that local PET prices in Italy have been on a constant downturn since March 2019. If the period from January to March 2019, when prices faced an insignificant recovery, is disregarded, the duration of the downslide dates even further back to August 2018, ChemOrbis Price Index suggests.
Gains in Asia’s PET markets turned out to be short-lived
Asian PET markets paint a similar picture, with Chinese suppliers returning from the holiday with further price drops. Flimsy demand amid the seasonal lull predominantly weighs on the PET market, apart from the weaker energy markets.
Back in mid-September, PET prices rose by 4% upon the attacks on Saudi Aramco’s oil facilities. However, this uptick did not prove to be sustainable as the market erased half of its gains in the following week, right before the holiday.
China’s export market back down to almost 3-year low
This week, renewed discounts in export PET prices from China sent the market back to early September levels and fully cancelled the previous gains, according to the weekly average of ChemOrbis Price Index.
Currently, China’s export PET market has fallen back to the lowest levels since November 2016 on a weekly average, ChemOrbis Price Index reveals.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Will costs drum up support for a 3rd-month-firming in Europe PET market?
- Import PE markets give softening signals in China, SE Asia
- PVC supplies tight, demand robust across Europe
- China’s local PP, PE markets snap nine-week rally
- Turnarounds keep PP supply tight in SE Asia
- European PP market sees step backs from initial July offers
- Focus turns to August in Turkey: PP and PE players sidelined amid blurry outlook
- SEA PE uptrend intact, yet increases capped by reduced demand
- Taiwanese major hikes Aug PVC offers to Asia as limited availability outweighs monsoon effect
- East African PP, PE markets on rise for July but deals still scarce