PET rally stalls in China after prices hit four-and-half-year high
According to data from ChemOrbis Price Index, the weekly averages of PET prices in China reached their highest levels since September 2013 before they mostly stabilized last week. During the latest upward trend, local PET prices posted a cumulative increase of around $260-265/ton as data reveal.
A source from a Chinese PET producer commented, “We are still feeling free from any sales pressure as supply concerns remain in place. However, we prefer to keep our offers stable for now as rapidly increasing offers have slightly hampered buying interest. The near term outlook is still firm given the ongoing high season, tight availability as well as strong upstream costs.”
A trader operating in Shanghai also affirmed that the PET rally stalled, noting, “Our offers are stable on the week. Purchasing activity has slowed down when compared to the previous weeks. However, Chinese producers still have backlog orders to clear amidst the ongoing tightness, which is likely to keep the market on a firm note over the short term.”
In the meantime, PET prices retained their firming trend across other global markets. Traders reported that offers from Taiwan were up by $40/ton on the week while a South Korean producer concluded deals with a visible hike of $60/ton last week. In Southeast Asia, the import PET market surged to its highest level since October 2013. In Europe, tight supplies and improving demand sent spot PET prices to their highest levels in almost five years.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Asian PS markets unfazed by losses in crude oil futures
- Local PP recovers from multi-year lows in Thailand, Vietnam and Indonesia
- Firming falters in China’s PET market on lower crude, pre-holiday lull
- Firming in HDPE lags behind LLDPE, LDPE on plastic bag ban in SE Asia
- PP markets witness hike attempts for Jan in Europe
- European PE opens post-holiday period on firm note, buyers stay cautious
- PP, PE sellers lift offers to Vietnam despite pre-holiday lull
- Asian PVC markets hit 3-month high, led by Taiwanese major’s Feb pricing
- Egypt’s PP, PE markets edge higher after a year of weakness
- Will Asian ABS resume firming amid higher crude, Chinese New Year?