PP, PE capacity additions across globe in 2017 and 2018
In China, Jiangsu Sailboat Petrochemical launched its LDPE/EVA unit in May. The plant has a production capacity of 355,000 tons/year. In May, Zhong Tian He Chuang also started operations at its 370,000 tons/year LDPE plant. In addition to these, China’s Shenhua Ningmei Petrochemical is planning to launch its LLDPE/HDPE swing line in July. The plant has a production capacity of 450,000 tons/year.
In other countries including Canada, the USA, India and Iran, some of the capacity additions in 2017 are listed below.
Meanwhile, Exxonmobil is planning to launch its 1.3 million tons/year LLDPE plant in 2018 while Russia’s Novy Urengoy GCC’s 400,000 tons/year LLDPE plant is expected to come online in July 2019. In 2018, CNOOC and Shell Petrochemicals Company Limited (CSPC) is also planning to launch its PE plant which will be able to produce 300,000 tons/year of LLDPE and 400,000 tons/year of HDPE while Jiutai Energy’s 250,000 tons/year LLDPE/HDPE plant is slated to come online next year, as well.
To track the most updated PP and PE production news, please see Production News (For members only)
As for PP, China has added a considerable amount of new capacity so far. Qinghai Yanhu’s new PP plant came online on April 26. The plant is able to produce 160,000 tons/year of PP. Zhong Jiang Petrochemical also launched its 350,000 tons/year PP plant in April.
Zhongtian He Chuang launched its 350,000 tons/year PP plant in May while Yun Tian Hua’s 150,000 tons/year PP plant came online in June. In July, China’s Shenhua Ningmei started operations at its 600,000 tons/year PP plant. Meanwhile, Hebei Haiwei is planning to launch its 200,000 tons/year PP plant in September.
In 2018, China’s CNOOC and Shell Petrochemicals Company Limited’s (CSPC) 400,000 tons/year PP plant is slated to come online. Apart from this, Jiutai Energy is planning to launch its 350,000 tons/year PP plant and Hua Ting Mei Ye will start operations at its 200,000 tons/year PP plant next year.
Looking at other global markets, India’s OPAL launched its 340,000 tons/year PP plant in January while South Korea’s Hyosung also started operations at its 200,000 tons/year plant in the same month. In June, India’s Reliance commissioned its 135,000 tons/year PP plant. Meanwhile, in July, Thailand’s IRPC and Vietnam’s Nghi Son are expected to launch their new PP plants with production capacities of 300,000 tons/year and 370,000 tons/year, respectively.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- PET bottle fails to salve pandemic wounds; challenges mount as autumn begins
- Can LDPE uptrend hold in Asia?
- Europe PVC prices lag behind global markets, upward pressure mounts
- PS, ABS markets take respite from rising streak in China, SEA
- Muted demand in Europe paves way for plenty of PP, PE offers in Turkey
- Import PE uptrend persists in China despite bearish winds mounting in local market
- 3-digit hikes in Oct PVC offers reinforce supply-driven bullishness in Asia
- Crude oil caught between demand woes and production disruption
- Tightness drives European PVC market up, prices near pre-pandemic levels
- Major LDPE markets touch multi-year highs on growing tightness