PP, PE players in Vietnam continue to prefer local market to imports
A PP converter operating in the packaging industry noted, “We think the prevailing import market levels are still high. For now, we prefer to source our needs from the local market. We will wait for prices to fall further in order to build some stocks.”
Another PP, PE converter said, “We haven’t made any purchases from the import market for a long time considering the high price levels. Local prices have been softening on a weekly basis. We think there is room for further decreases in the local market and we will wait until the import market moves back to the $1100/ton level in order to replenish stocks.”
A third converter commented, “Demand is quite slow in the local market and prices are lower than imports. We want to make purchases from the import market, but prices are still too high. We expect prices to move lower in the following weeks and reach the $1080/ton level in November.”
Meanwhile, as was already noted in ChemOrbis Plastics News Local PE prices move below imports in Vietnam , HDPE supplies are also tight in Vietnam and Southeast Asian markets as well.
Similarly, a PE converter operating in Vietnam’s packaging industry also reported that local offers they received for HDPE film are higher than LLDPE film and attributed this to the limited supplies for HDPE. “It is more reasonable to source from the local market considering the fact that they are offering a more competitive edge than imports,” he added.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Are US PVC prices nearing the bottom?
- PP markets face less pressure than PE in Turkey, Europe and Africa
- PVC downturn persists for Dec as demand fails to improve in India
- Ongoing ABS hikes in China cautiously reflected on global markets
- Soaring energy markets fail to prop up olefin, polyolefin prices in Europe
- Surging energy prices find reflection on Asia’s PS and PET markets
- Southeast Asia’s HDPE film market hits more than two-year high
- European ethylene faces opposite pressure from surging upstream, improving supplies
- Will cost-driven PS, ABS hikes prove sustainable in China?
- European PVC market softens after two-month upturn