PP sentiment softens on buyers’ resistance in Vietnam
Homo-PP raffia prices in the country’s local market have slightly softened this week as a result of buyers’ growing resistance to the prevailing offer levels, which are mostly deemed too high.
A packaging converter commented, “PP prices are currently standing at quite high levels and we are struggling to reflect higher costs onto our end product prices. Demand from our customers is not doing well given the low season.”
A second Vietnamese buyer also noted, “We are not making any purchases beyond our immediate needs for the moment as we think that PP prices should see further downward adjustments. Demand may not recover until around mid-July.”
Players also report that domestic PP supplies are more than comfortable since Nghi Son Refinery has begun trial runs at its new 400,000 tons/year PP plant.
Meanwhile, PP offers on CIF terms have also recorded some slight decreases so far. A South Korean trader cut its PP prices to the country by $10-20/ton from last week, saying “Our offers moved lower in the face of stagnant demand along with the softening in the energy markets.” A Vietnam-based trader added, “We are receiving lower bids from buyers nowadays. As we expect to see further decreases, we are not planning to make new purchases for now.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Initial ABS prices for July see larger increases than PS in Europe
- Supply constraints spark stronger PE trend than PP in global markets
- ABS, PS uptrend falters in China after H1 2020 ends at multi-month highs
- Stats: China’s total PP imports spike in May; Vietnam and India’s rising shares shine out
- Tight supply drives HDPE, LLDPE gains in Southeast Asia
- European PE markets set for 2nd bullish month on rising costs
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem