PS, ABS sellers seek March increases in Europe
Players in the region closed their February business with decreases of up to €50/ton for PS while initial March offers of West European producers surfaced with €100-120/ton increases. Even before styrene contracts, a Central European producer applied €60/ton hikes for late February, a packaging converter reported.
A West European PS producer, who had voiced their expectations for €70-80/ton hikes regarding March PS prices prior to styrene monomer settlements, issued €120/ton increases to Italy this week. A producer source pointed to expectations that supply is likely to remain tight particularly for GPPS.
“We announced increases of €100/ton for the new month in line with monomer hikes after closing our February deals with €35-40/ton drops. GPPS availability is short while demand performs well these days,” a source from a South European producer stated. Additionally, the seller aims to obtain €60-70/ton increases for ABS, another downstream product of styrene.
A distributor argued, meanwhile, demand from the spot market may not be vivid in the first half of March as buyers may not digest three digit hikes. “We plan to apply hikes of around €100/ton in line with the pricing policies of our producers. However, PP prices seem stable to firm in Europe which could create competitive pressure on PS,” he highlighted.
“We expect to close our March deals with €100/ton hikes in line with the monomer increase, supported by actual demand and supply dynamics. Demand in the packaging sector is increasing due to seasonal reasons,” a buyer in Italy said. Another converter reported that they did not negotiate on the three digit hikes they received since they built some inventories during February to be covered for March.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Styrene prices sink to multi-month lows in Asia and Europe
- European PET posts double-digit decreases for October
- PVC downturn gains pace in Asia on Taiwanese major’s larger-than expected drop
- Asian spot propylene regains premium over ethylene for first time since 2013
- Import LDPE, LLDPE prices almost back at par with ethylene in China
- Turkish players voice early PP, PE expectations for November
- Thin buying cushions impact of PVC shutdowns across Europe
- China’s PP market makes a strong start to post-holiday period
- Asian ethylene-naphtha spread narrows to 3-year low
- Local PVC markets plunge in India, Southeast Asia