PS prices hit record high across Europe
Spot PS prices have registered a cumulative increase of €575-600/ton in Northwest Europe since December while Italy’s PS market has witnessed a more considerable surge of €620-650/ton in the same timeframe, based on the average of ChemOrbis Price Index.
As for March, sellers generally concur that buying interest is unsatisfactory as consecutive, sizeable hikes have dampened buying interest to a large extent. “We could sell only limited amounts so far as buyers find current levels unacceptably high. The PS market must be near its peak,” a large trader in Italy commented.
A buyer in Belgium also claimed that PS prices have reached a peak. “We have been struggling to reflect our costs onto our prices for the past few months,” he complained. In the meantime, concerns over buyers’ preference to switch to alternative products including PP and PET have grown on the sellers’ side.
Considering the resistance built on the buyers’ side upon the massive increases that have passed for the last four months, some players expect to see PS prices stabilize while others opine that a downward correction will be witnessed in the latter part of March, particularly if styrene costs take their support away from PS prices.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Sentiment cautiously rebounds in Asian PP, PE markets
- Asian monomer markets react after crude oil surge
- September hikes meet resistance for ABS in Europe
- Turkey’s import PP market slumps to 3-year low on supply glut, low demand
- Import PVC demand dampened in Europe, Turkey; will it improve in H2?
- Chinese PET producers attempt for hikes first time since July
- Uptrend in spot styrene prices curtailed in Asia
- Spot LDPE, LLDPE prices hit a decade low in Italy
- Saudi major globally applies significant drops on PE for Sept
- Malaysia’s local PE market dives to a decade low