PS prices hit record high across Europe
Spot PS prices have registered a cumulative increase of €575-600/ton in Northwest Europe since December while Italy’s PS market has witnessed a more considerable surge of €620-650/ton in the same timeframe, based on the average of ChemOrbis Price Index.
As for March, sellers generally concur that buying interest is unsatisfactory as consecutive, sizeable hikes have dampened buying interest to a large extent. “We could sell only limited amounts so far as buyers find current levels unacceptably high. The PS market must be near its peak,” a large trader in Italy commented.
A buyer in Belgium also claimed that PS prices have reached a peak. “We have been struggling to reflect our costs onto our prices for the past few months,” he complained. In the meantime, concerns over buyers’ preference to switch to alternative products including PP and PET have grown on the sellers’ side.
Considering the resistance built on the buyers’ side upon the massive increases that have passed for the last four months, some players expect to see PS prices stabilize while others opine that a downward correction will be witnessed in the latter part of March, particularly if styrene costs take their support away from PS prices.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- PE and PVC imports from US flooding Europe
- Indonesia’s polyolefin markets sustain uptrend
- Asian PVC markets shaken by sharp fall in Taiwanese major’s Apr pricing
- March PE prices take split paths in Africa, Mid-East
- Asian PS markets touch 4-month high amid volatile styrene
- Turkey’s PP market attracts deep-sea origins at 4-month high
- European ABS rebounds from 3-year low
- Firming persists in Vietnam’s PE market, shrugging off ethylene
- European styrene continues to climb up, Asia remains cautiously firm
- PP market up from a year-low in Europe; yet hikes beyond C3 see resistance