PS prices hit record high across Europe
Spot PS prices have registered a cumulative increase of €575-600/ton in Northwest Europe since December while Italy’s PS market has witnessed a more considerable surge of €620-650/ton in the same timeframe, based on the average of ChemOrbis Price Index.
As for March, sellers generally concur that buying interest is unsatisfactory as consecutive, sizeable hikes have dampened buying interest to a large extent. “We could sell only limited amounts so far as buyers find current levels unacceptably high. The PS market must be near its peak,” a large trader in Italy commented.
A buyer in Belgium also claimed that PS prices have reached a peak. “We have been struggling to reflect our costs onto our prices for the past few months,” he complained. In the meantime, concerns over buyers’ preference to switch to alternative products including PP and PET have grown on the sellers’ side.
Considering the resistance built on the buyers’ side upon the massive increases that have passed for the last four months, some players expect to see PS prices stabilize while others opine that a downward correction will be witnessed in the latter part of March, particularly if styrene costs take their support away from PS prices.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Styrene prices sink to multi-month lows in Asia and Europe
- European PET posts double-digit decreases for October
- PVC downturn gains pace in Asia on Taiwanese major’s larger-than expected drop
- Asian spot propylene regains premium over ethylene for first time since 2013
- Import LDPE, LLDPE prices almost back at par with ethylene in China
- Turkish players voice early PP, PE expectations for November
- Thin buying cushions impact of PVC shutdowns across Europe
- China’s PP market makes a strong start to post-holiday period
- Asian ethylene-naphtha spread narrows to 3-year low
- Local PVC markets plunge in India, Southeast Asia