PS recovery continues in Asia amid slowly rising styrene prices
Pre-holiday demand and low supplies support sentiment
Demand, particularly for GPPS, has been reported to be good so far in January due to buyers’ stock replenishment activities ahead of the Chinese New Year holiday. Low inventory levels have also encouraged sellers to adopt a firm stance on their offers.
A source from a Taiwanese producer noted, “Demand for PS has been healthy for the past month. We received good number of inquiries, particularly from Chinese customers and almost sold out our February allocation.”
Upstream: Styrene slowly rises; bullish trend loses momentum in energy markets
According to data from ChemOrbis Price Wizard, the weekly average of spot styrene prices on FOB South Korea basis has registered a slight increase of around $30/ton since it hit a three-year low in late December.
In the energy markets, meanwhile, the bullish trend of crude oil futures has lost momentum lately as WTI crude oil mostly hovered around $52/barrel last week.
Several players operating in Asia’s PS markets agreed that limited support from the upstream side has kept price gains in check.
PS demand likely to fade as China holiday approaches
Meanwhile, as the countdown has begun for the Chinese New Year holiday, demand for PS is expected to fade away over the next two weeks.
A source from a Southeast Asian producer said, “Most buyers have wrapped up their pre-holiday purchases and demand has started to retreat. We are closely monitoring the developments in the upstream markets now. If styrene maintains its current trend, we might see further hikes in PS prices in the post-holiday period.”
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Asian ethylene sustains rally, moves back above LDPE, LLDPE in China, SEA
- Is uptrend delayed to March in European PET market?
- Spot propylene moves back down in Europe, US; what lies ahead for Asia?
- Sentiment fails to improve in Feb across Mid-Eastern and African PP, PE markets
- European LDPE, LLDPE hover around 4-year-lows
- Sentiment cautiously improves in Turkey’s polyolefin markets
- Global oil and petchem companies announce financial results for Q4
- Growth in Turkey’s polymer imports faltered in 2018
- Egypt’s PP and PE markets scramble to find clear direction
- Local PET fails to catch up with import hikes in Turkey