PVC downturn persists for Dec as demand fails to improve in India
Expectations were suggesting rollovers or slight decreases given the recovery signs from the Indian market, higher ethylene prices as well as the recent rally of the energy complex. However, demand in India appears to have been not strong enough to pull the market up. Prior to the expected announcement, a seller had said, “Taiwanese major’s new offers will depend on the state of demand in India.”
Although the Taiwanese major was reported to have sold out its December quotas to India already, mainly traders have secured their regular cargoes rather than converters. Plus, traders in India are sitting on comfortable stocks after their replenishment in the past two months.
Following suit, a Chinese acetylene-based PVC producer also applied decreases of $25/ton to India from last week. A producer source said, “We lowered our prices as we are facing difficulty in concluding deals in India and it is hard to compete with ethylene-based PVC.”
Meanwhile, a domestic producer in India has lowered its local PVC prices by $60/ton.
A pipe manufacturer said, “We continue to stand on the sidelines as the near term outlook remains uncertain.”
However, some players expect demand to improve in India by December as the effects of the monsoon season will be totally over, as was the case last year. Plus, the Indian government is considering cutting the GST rates in order to boost domestic demand.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Turkey’s stormy week: Hike attempts emerge after 4 months in PP, PE markets
- PVC markets fail to extend gains to Oct on economic woes, low demand in Asia
- Sentiment cautiously rebounds in Asian PP, PE markets
- Asian monomer markets react after crude oil surge
- September hikes meet resistance for ABS in Europe
- Turkey’s import PP market slumps to 3-year low on supply glut, low demand
- Import PVC demand dampened in Europe, Turkey; will it improve in H2?
- Chinese PET producers attempt for hikes first time since July
- Uptrend in spot styrene prices curtailed in Asia
- Spot LDPE, LLDPE prices hit a decade low in Italy