Players in Turkey: Local GPPS supplies are tight
The prevailing GPPS prices mostly center between $1480-1515/ton ex-warehouse Turkey equivalent, cash inc VAT. In contrast to the previous week, prices at $1450/ton became rather scarce as the week proceeded. According to ChemOrbis Price Index, HIPS has been trading with a discount to GPPS since mid-February.
Source: ChemOrbis Price Index
A disposable manufacturer reported, “Supply is low as sellers had not been bringing in much quotas in order not to make more losses during the extended bearish trend in place for the past few months. Now they are implementing a firmer stance. The market seems to be higher while prices may see additional hikes in March.”
A trader voiced his firm expectations regarding next month, blaming tightness and higher styrene costs in Asia. “Distributors are still keeping their replenishment levels in control which makes us thinks that supply may not ease over the near term,” he argued. Spot styrene costs on an FOB Korea basis moved above the $1000/ton threshold at the end of the week and have risen by $75/ton since February started.
“Our South Korean producer was not able to offer GPPS while we received higher HIPS prices month over month. The locally-held PS market firmed up significantly, driven by the lack of comfortable supplies. GPPS is tight while HIPS is less limited thanks to the availability of Malaysian materials,” a distributor stated.
Some end product manufacturers do not predict dramatic price increases for PS, citing cash flow problems and political issues in Turkey. “We will meet our PS requirements soon in accordance with our end product orders as we had not purchased much material in the recent weeks,” said a buyer.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East
- Polymer demand cools in Turkey: Is price correction ahead for PP, PE and PVC?
- China’s rising PET trend takes a pause, but longer-term outlook remains firm
- Uptrend in China’s import PP market continues but cautious mood returns
- Hikes in Asia July PVC offers baffle some buyers, further rally under discussion
- Optimism is rising on resurgent demand in European polymer markets
- European PVC producers ungenerous in Turkey: Prices up 21% in a month