Players report ample HDPE supplies in global markets
Several players in Turkey commented, “There are plentiful Iranian HDPE film and blow moulding cargos at warehouses since a few traders have engaged in large tonnages recently. Yet, demand is at a standstill nowadays with most manufacturers sticking to the sidelines to monitor the post-referendum scene.” A political referendum will be conducted this Sunday in the country. A distributor similarly stated, “We are struggling to sell HDPE in particular as ample supplies weigh down on our pricing policy. There are aggressive prices for Iranian origins these days.”
In China, a trader reported that local inventories are high especially for HDPE despite the fact that the number of import offers has been reduced recently as overseas producers are not interested in selling to China given low netbacks.
In Southeast Asia, traders have high HDPE stocks in Vietnam amidst weak demand, according to the players in the region. This caused import HDPE prices to post a larger decrease this week.
In Europe, similar concerns about ample HDPE supplies are being voiced amid thin demand. A distributor in Italy reported, “Demand is very calm with buyers purchasing hand to mouth as they expect to see lower PE prices soon. HDPE film demand is particularly weak as consumption reduced due to the shift to biodegradable products.
A trader in Germany reported that HDPE injection is particularly under downward pressure due to comfortable supply and the large variety of origins in the spot market. The fact that some distributors already lowered their offers for HDPE products but they still seek rollovers for LDPE and LLDPE is also confirming the lack of interest for HDPE.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Ethylene prices hit fresh lows in Asia, Europe; US holds steady
- ABS prices see more-than-a-year low in Asia, Europe
- Styrene prices sink to multi-month lows in Asia and Europe
- European PET posts double-digit decreases for October
- PVC downturn gains pace in Asia on Taiwanese major’s larger-than expected drop
- Asian spot propylene regains premium over ethylene for first time since 2013
- Import LDPE, LLDPE prices almost back at par with ethylene in China
- Turkish players voice early PP, PE expectations for November
- Thin buying cushions impact of PVC shutdowns across Europe
- China’s PP market makes a strong start to post-holiday period