S. Arabia becomes China’s top polymer supplier in 2017, dethrones S. Korea
The data reveal that China’s total polymer imports from Saudi Arabia in 2017 climbed by around 29% from a year earlier to be reported slightly above 3 million tons, suggesting a record high level. Overall imports from South Korea were also up by 2.5% last year but South Korea lost its position to Saudi Arabia to become the second largest supplier after standing at the top for more than 15 years.
China imported almost 19.3 million tons of polymers in 2017 to hit a record high, with Saudi Arabia constituting 15.6% of overall imports. Saudi Arabia has gradually increased its market share over the years as it formed 13.6% of China’s total imports in 2015 and 13.7% in 2016.
The largest contribution to Saudi Arabia’s record-high market share in 2017 came from HDPE, which posted a yearly increase of 35.7% to reach almost 1.4 million tons. Meanwhile, China’s total HDPE imports were reported at around 6.4 million tons. The data also show that Saudi Arabia overtook Iran as the top HDPE supplier in 2017 after four consecutive years.
A similar case was seen in the LLDPE market where Saudi Arabia became the largest supplier to China in 2017 for the first time since 2013 by overtaking Singapore. China’s LLDPE imports from the country surged by 43.5% on the year to reach around 755,000 tons.
In order to see China’s import statistics, please visit ChemOrbis Import Statistics by country and/or by product (For members only),
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Import LDPE, LLDPE prices almost back at par with ethylene in China
- Turkish players voice early PP, PE expectations for November
- Thin buying cushions impact of PVC shutdowns across Europe
- China’s PP market makes a strong start to post-holiday period
- Asian ethylene-naphtha spread narrows to 3-year low
- Local PVC markets plunge in India, Southeast Asia
- PE sustains soft path in October across Africa, Mid-East
- Will propylene hike be reflected on European PP?
- US PE sellers continue to target SE Asia as trade war with China escalates
- Spot ethylene hits 14-month low in Asia, Europe despite crude rally