SABIC considering establishing CTO/MTO projects in China
It was reported that China’s slower economic growth and wish to be more self sufficient in petrochemicals through the coal to olefin route would apply pressure on Middle Eastern exporters.
Sources stated that the country will produce around 6.4 million tons of polyethylene from coal and methanol by 2020 and that the country will reduce its annual import demand from 15 million tons to 9.5 million tons because of this new supply. Twenty CTO/MTO plants are currently being built and these are expected to increase China’s polyolefins production by 10 million tons/year.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Asian PS, ABS markets remain weak on rising trade tensions
- Spot styrene sharply down in Europe and Asia
- Expectations soften for PP raffia, fibre yet to follow in Turkey
- Will PE supplies from China flock to SEA?
- LDPE, LLDPE highest since Q3 2018; HDPE at 6-month high in Europe
- Intensifying trade war adds to bearishness in China’s local PP, PE markets
- PET prices hit multi-month lows in Asia and Europe
- Rising momentum fizzles out in European PS, ABS markets
- European PVC offers to Turkey shrug off higher costs
- Asian PVC players hold firm expectations for June