Singapore’s retail sales increase 7.5% on year in January
A surge of 50.9% on the year in motor vehicle sales was cited as the main reason behind stronger retail sales. The data showed that sales of medical goods and toiletries as well as department stores also increased 16.3% and 11.9%, respectively, from a year earlier.
However, sales of telecommunications equipment and computers recorded the largest drop of any sector, declining by 30.5% on a yearly basis. Retails sales for the food and beverage services also fell on the year to reach SGD685 million ($500 million) compared with SGD689 million ($503 million) in January 2015.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Lackluster demand outweighs tightness in Asian ABS markets
- Will costs drum up support for a 3rd-month-firming in Europe PET market?
- Import PE markets give softening signals in China, SE Asia
- PVC supplies tight, demand robust across Europe
- China’s local PP, PE markets snap nine-week rally
- Turnarounds keep PP supply tight in SE Asia
- European PP market sees step backs from initial July offers
- Focus turns to August in Turkey: PP and PE players sidelined amid blurry outlook
- SEA PE uptrend intact, yet increases capped by reduced demand
- Taiwanese major hikes Aug PVC offers to Asia as limited availability outweighs monsoon effect