Sluggish demand weighs down on Turkey’s local PP market
Overall, PP raffia prices were reported at $1270-1320/ton ex-warehouse Turkey equivalent, cash inc VAT, down $10-30/ton from last week. The rumor is that there are lower prices at and below $1250/ton although this was not widely confirmed at the time of publication.
Source: ChemOrbis Price Index
A PP manufacturer claimed to have received a raffia offer at $1250/ton inc VAT, arguing, “Ahead of the Eid holidays, we were holding firm expectations for the post-holiday period. However, demand has failed to improve in the midst of the recent political tension. For the near term, we believe that prices will follow a softening path.”
A distributor also noted, “We started this week with prices at $1280-1300/ton for our Middle Eastern materials, whereas some customers of ours returned with bids at $1250/ton, claiming that they were able to get this price from other sellers. We don’t plan to replace much quantity under these circumstances.”
“Turkey is not under any downwards pressure from other major global markets, but weaker crude oil and mediocre activity may weigh down on polyolefins markets in the coming term,” commented another distributor.
PP markets turned softer in the country following an upturn during the month of June amidst then-higher energy and naphtha costs as well as expectations for a demand revival following Ramadan Holiday.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- European PE markets set for 2nd bullish month on rising costs
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East
- Polymer demand cools in Turkey: Is price correction ahead for PP, PE and PVC?
- China’s rising PET trend takes a pause, but longer-term outlook remains firm
- Uptrend in China’s import PP market continues but cautious mood returns
- Hikes in Asia July PVC offers baffle some buyers, further rally under discussion