Softer expectations take hold of Europe’s PE market for November
Players leave for the K fair
Trading activities slowed down further as many players left their desks to attend to the K fair that is held on October 16-23 in Düsseldorf, Germany.
Buyers’ inventory levels are reported to be healthy, which gave them some flexibility to postpone their purchases until after the fair or to the next month.
Suppliers record further margin erosion for October
Despite the €20/ton higher ethylene settlement, some suppliers had to concede to discounts from their initial offer levels in order to generate demand.
“We are struggling with the ongoing weakness in demand amid economic concerns and long PE supplies. If demand remains unchanged, we may see some reductions later in the month,” a distributor commented.
Europe’s Nov PE outlook in the grip of upcoming ethylene contract
To add to this, several crackers are back on stream following planned/unplanned shutdowns. This, coupled with poor derivatives demand, is to strengthen monomer availability in the region.
As a result, weaker expectations for the upcoming ethylene contract are dominating the PE market outlook in Europe. Naphtha costs as well as spot ethylene prices that have followed a volatile path since early October are paving the way for the decrease expectations for November ethylene contracts.
“As for November, we heard voices about strong drops of €50/ton in the next ethylene contracts but we hope to have a clearer idea regarding the PE outlook during the K Fair,” a player reported.
Activities likely to slow down on approaching year-end
Apart from lower upstream, supply-demand conditions are also keeping the future outlook gloomy.
PE prices are widely expected to post drops on scant activities heading towards the year-end amid sellers’ destocking activities, not to mention the reluctance of buyers to commit to fresh cargoes due to shrinking end demand. According to some players, spot market will be less preferable going forward as many converters will switch to the contract market before the year ends in order to achieve their annual volume bonus program.
Nevertheless, a few players hold stable expectations as prices have already been standing at multi-year lows.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- European PE prices at a decade low, eroding demand for recycled grades
- US HDPE, LLDPE fall below $800 in Turkey; does further weakness lurk ahead?
- SE Asia’s import homo-PP market sinks to 3-and-a-half year low
- PVC market in China suffers larger declines than in India
- African PE markets hit historical lows on greater competition from US supply
- Italy’s PVC market takes a downward turn in Nov following ethylene
- Turkey’s import PP market hovers around 3-year low as activity stays depressed
- HDPE moves below LDPE, LLDPE after almost two years in Asia
- Price gap between PS and styrene widens in Asia
- Turkey's polymer imports rebound in Q3; will 2019 end with a smaller-than-expected fall?