South Korea’s Nov exports fall 4.7% on weak global demand
The data also revealed that imports posted a larger decline of 17.6% from a year earlier to reach $34.07 billion in November following a 16.6% drop in October. Economists had expected to see a decrease of 13% in imports. Accordingly, South Korea’s trade surplus increased to $10.36 billion in November from October’s revised surplus of $6.66 billion.
Meanwhile, Statistics Korea reported that South Korea’s industrial production posted the fastest drop since May in October. Industrial production declined 1.4% on a seasonally adjusted basis, missing Reuters economists’ forecasts that called for a gain of 0.2%. Meanwhile, September’s figure was revised upward to an increase of 2.2% from earlier gain of 1.9%.
On an annual basis, however, South Korea’s factory output climbed 1.5% in October following a revised increase of 2.8% in September. The data also showed that production in the services sector posted a seasonally adjusted increase of 0.2% in October from a month earlier, slower than September’s gain of 1.1%.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Turkey’s PP, PE markets evaluate possible impact of border closure with Iran
- Asia’s firm PVC sentiment shows signs of faltering amid competitive Chinese offers
- Recovering downstream activity supports sentiment for PET bottle in China
- Activity pick-up sends Asian spot C3 market into recovery mode
- Total polymer imports to EU28 hit record high in 2019
- March PE expectations in Turkey weighed by new capacities, cooling demand
- PP prices hit 4-year low in China as demand remains minimal
- Taiwanese major’s March PVC offers to Asia up despite virus fears
- Virus-impacted demand inflicts toll on Vietnam's PE market
- HDPE fails to track firmer trend of LD, LLDPE in Europe