South Korea's central bank keeps interest rates steady for 5th month
It is reported that the U.S. presidential election result is risky for the Korean economy in the long-term. The governor of BOK Lee Ju-yeol calls for rate hikes in December. However, he is under strain about forecasting what US policies will be from now on.
Lee said that further easing is still possible despite the accommodative monetary policy at present. He also noted that an interest rate hike was needed due to weakening won.
ANZ economists expect that the BOK may cut the rate 25 basis point in the first quarter of the next year. They also stated that the effects of a rate cut will decline if the government does not legislate more structural reforms.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Taiwanese major poised to come lower for a 3rd month to Asian PVC markets
- Covid concerns loom large in China, hitting demand and supply-chain
- Egypt’s PVC markets extend drops into January
- SE Asian PP, PE markets look for direction amid tepid demand, rising freights
- European PS, ABS markets open 2022 on firm footing
- Asia PET prices extend gains into January
- China’s PVC exports hit records in 2021; challenge global suppliers
- Stats: Turkey’s PP, PE imports on track for record-setting year
- What to watch in 2022 in polymer markets?
- Turkey’s PE markets retain downtrend as 2021 ends