South Korea’s ethylene output to rise to 12.6 million tons/year
The higher production is the result of expansion as well as building of new facilities by several producers.
Among those companies that are expanding are Yeocheon NCC with ethylene output rising from 1.9 million tons/year to 2.3 million tons/year, and Hanwha Total NCC with production to increase from 1.4 million tons/year to 1.6 million tons/year. Yeocheon NCC’s commercial operations are expected to start later this month while Hanwha’s expansion is scheduled to be completed in the first half of the year.
Meanwhile, Hyundai Oilbank and its subsidiary Hyundai Chemical are building a heavy feed petrochemical complex and when construction is completed during the first half of this year, it will produce 750,000 tons/year of ethylene, 850,000 tons/year of propylene, 500,000 tons/year of PP and 150,000 tons/year of butadiene.
Among others, GS Caltex is building a mixed feed cracker which will produce 700,000 tons/year of ethylene and 500,000 tons/year of propylene, and S-Oil will build facilities which will produce 1.5 million tons/year of ethylene.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- PP, PE already back to 2020 lows in China; prices poised for further drops
- Local PE prices remain bearish, nearing multi-year lows across SE Asia
- European PP, PE buyers sideline ahead of further drops in June
- China’s April PE imports fall to around 1 million tons, lowest since 2018
- Vietnam’s polymer markets buckle under an influx of Chinese cargoes
- Divergence grows between Egypt’s import and local PP, PE markets
- PP markets in China, Vietnam hit 3-year lows, readying to test new lows
- African PE, PP markets extend slide into May
- Asian PS, ABS markets at 2½-3-year lows amid Chinese oversupply
- India’s Q1 PVC imports hit record-high; did buyers rush to stock up before expected restrictions?