Southeast Asia’s import PET market tracks falling MEG
Spot MEG prices on CFR China basis are currently standing around $150/ton lower from early February levels, since when they have been witnessing weekly decreases.
A Chinese trader who offers Chinese PET bottle to the region at $1020/ton CIF, cash commented, “Prices posted slight drops again this week due to weaker monomers, particularly MEG prices. Demand, meanwhile, is not so good in the export markets.”
An Indonesian trader reported purchasing Chinese PET bottle at $1020/ton CIF after negotiations and opined “We still find the current done deal level too high to accept, but we had to buy as our inventories are running low. Demand traditionally witnesses an uptick at this time of the year, but this has not been the case this year.”
Data from ChemOrbis Price Index also shows that, weekly average prices for import PET in Southeast Asia remained soft after hitting their highest levels since early June 2015 in mid-February 2017.
Source: ChemOrbis Price Index
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- PLAST EURASIA 2022: Eyes on Russian and US supplies with demand woes in focus
- December PE offers to SE Asia imply further drops, yet to respond to China
- Has the bear market for Asian PVC almost run its course?
- Demand outlook for crude oil dims amid China worries
- Asian styrene prices rebound from almost two-year lows
- Turkey’s PE market on brink of new drops for December
- Signs of optimism in China PP and PE markets, but caution remains
- Egypt’s import PP, PE markets flat but domestic prices turn upwards in Nov
- PVC downturn enters 7th month, prices still far from pre-pandemic levels in Europe
- Aggressive US PE offers make a scene across global markets in Q4 after a hiatus of 2 years