Spot C3 prices in Europe and Asia fall to new lows as supply lengthens
Supply length persists as demand struggles to keep pace in Asia
More propylene supply began flowing into the already-ample markets after the recent restarts at Chinese and South Korean plants. With this increased supply of propylene outstripping regional demand, spot prices on FOB Korea basis have recently slumped to their lowest since June 2017.
According to ChemOrbis Production News, Jiutai Energy Group and Shenhua Baotou Coal Chemical Industry resumed operations at their respective propylene units in early November, and more recently, Oriental Energy and Tianjin Bohai Chemical’s PDH units returned to production. In addition to these restarts in China, Lotte Chemical’s steam cracker in South Korea returned to production after a month-long turnaround.
European C3 market down 30% to-date since recent peak in June
The downstream propylene market in Europe has been eroded by an imbalance between high supply and low demand from derivative markets, with prices ending last week at 30% below a recent peak in June. The weekly average data obtained from ChemOrbis Price Wizard shows that prices on FD NWE basis recently fell to their lowest levels since January 2017.
Spot prices trade at 13% discount to Nov contract price in Europe
In the week ended November 15, spot propylene markets in Europe posted the third weekly drop, taking the cumulative reduction to around €70/ton. This recent decline has widened the spot discount to the latest contract prices to €110/ton, up from a gap of around €40/ton in early November.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Tightness brings further price hikes in African PP, PE markets
- European PP hits new highs after 3-digit hikes for January
- Turkey’s PP, PE markets open 2021 with supply-driven hikes
- Vietnam’s local homo-PP market retreats for 3rd week on subdued demand
- China’s PE demand wavers amid controls on environmental pollution and electricity use
- January trend takes shape in Egypt’s PP, PE markets
- Stats: Turkey’s 2020 polymer imports set to beat the 2017 record
- China PP, PE markets close 2020 on a soft note; SE Asia feels pressure
- Stats: China’s total PE imports down for 2nd month in November
- Egypt PET markets poised to end the year on a strong note