Spot C3 prices in Europe and Asia fall to new lows as supply lengthens
Supply length persists as demand struggles to keep pace in Asia
More propylene supply began flowing into the already-ample markets after the recent restarts at Chinese and South Korean plants. With this increased supply of propylene outstripping regional demand, spot prices on FOB Korea basis have recently slumped to their lowest since June 2017.
According to ChemOrbis Production News, Jiutai Energy Group and Shenhua Baotou Coal Chemical Industry resumed operations at their respective propylene units in early November, and more recently, Oriental Energy and Tianjin Bohai Chemical’s PDH units returned to production. In addition to these restarts in China, Lotte Chemical’s steam cracker in South Korea returned to production after a month-long turnaround.
European C3 market down 30% to-date since recent peak in June
The downstream propylene market in Europe has been eroded by an imbalance between high supply and low demand from derivative markets, with prices ending last week at 30% below a recent peak in June. The weekly average data obtained from ChemOrbis Price Wizard shows that prices on FD NWE basis recently fell to their lowest levels since January 2017.
Spot prices trade at 13% discount to Nov contract price in Europe
In the week ended November 15, spot propylene markets in Europe posted the third weekly drop, taking the cumulative reduction to around €70/ton. This recent decline has widened the spot discount to the latest contract prices to €110/ton, up from a gap of around €40/ton in early November.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Supply constraints spark stronger PE trend than PP in global markets
- ABS, PS uptrend falters in China after H1 2020 ends at multi-month highs
- Stats: China’s total PP imports spike in May; Vietnam and India’s rising shares shine out
- Tight supply drives HDPE, LLDPE gains in Southeast Asia
- European PE markets set for 2nd bullish month on rising costs
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East