Spot ethylene hits 14-month low in Asia, Europe despite crude rally
According to the weekly average data on ChemOrbis Price Wizard, spot ethylene prices on CFR Far East Asia basis have neared a 14-month low. Spot prices in South Korea and Southeast Asia also witnessed similar decreases as demand weakened following the shutdowns at downstream units across the region.
In Europe, ethylene contracts for October settled with an increase despite the ongoing bearish sentiment in the spot ethylene markets. The higher settlement was mostly attributed to the current run-up in naphtha prices.
Contrary to the monthly gain in the contract market, comfortable supplies across the region accelerated the downturn in spot ethylene, driving the weekly average of spot ethylene prices on FD NWE basis to an almost 14-month low both on the euro and USD terms.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- ABS prices see more-than-a-year low in Asia, Europe
- Styrene prices sink to multi-month lows in Asia and Europe
- European PET posts double-digit decreases for October
- PVC downturn gains pace in Asia on Taiwanese major’s larger-than expected drop
- Asian spot propylene regains premium over ethylene for first time since 2013
- Import LDPE, LLDPE prices almost back at par with ethylene in China
- Turkish players voice early PP, PE expectations for November
- Thin buying cushions impact of PVC shutdowns across Europe
- China’s PP market makes a strong start to post-holiday period
- Asian ethylene-naphtha spread narrows to 3-year low