Spot ethylene hits 14-month low in Asia, Europe despite crude rally
According to the weekly average data on ChemOrbis Price Wizard, spot ethylene prices on CFR Far East Asia basis have neared a 14-month low. Spot prices in South Korea and Southeast Asia also witnessed similar decreases as demand weakened following the shutdowns at downstream units across the region.
In Europe, ethylene contracts for October settled with an increase despite the ongoing bearish sentiment in the spot ethylene markets. The higher settlement was mostly attributed to the current run-up in naphtha prices.
Contrary to the monthly gain in the contract market, comfortable supplies across the region accelerated the downturn in spot ethylene, driving the weekly average of spot ethylene prices on FD NWE basis to an almost 14-month low both on the euro and USD terms.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Local PP, PE offers for July track global uptrend in Saudi Arabia
- Initial ABS prices for July see larger increases than PS in Europe
- Supply constraints spark stronger PE trend than PP in global markets
- ABS, PS uptrend falters in China after H1 2020 ends at multi-month highs
- Stats: China’s total PP imports spike in May; Vietnam and India’s rising shares shine out
- Tight supply drives HDPE, LLDPE gains in Southeast Asia
- European PE markets set for 2nd bullish month on rising costs
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?