Spot ethylene hits 14-month low in Asia, Europe despite crude rally
According to the weekly average data on ChemOrbis Price Wizard, spot ethylene prices on CFR Far East Asia basis have neared a 14-month low. Spot prices in South Korea and Southeast Asia also witnessed similar decreases as demand weakened following the shutdowns at downstream units across the region.
In Europe, ethylene contracts for October settled with an increase despite the ongoing bearish sentiment in the spot ethylene markets. The higher settlement was mostly attributed to the current run-up in naphtha prices.
Contrary to the monthly gain in the contract market, comfortable supplies across the region accelerated the downturn in spot ethylene, driving the weekly average of spot ethylene prices on FD NWE basis to an almost 14-month low both on the euro and USD terms.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- March PE prices take split paths in Africa, Mid-East
- Asian PS markets touch 4-month high amid volatile styrene
- Turkey’s PP market attracts deep-sea origins at 4-month high
- European ABS rebounds from 3-year low
- Firming persists in Vietnam’s PE market, shrugging off ethylene
- European styrene continues to climb up, Asia remains cautiously firm
- PP market up from a year-low in Europe; yet hikes beyond C3 see resistance
- Asian ethylene slumps on supply glut
- Ebbing demand in India weighs on April PVC outlook
- Asian PET markets trend higher on firmer costs, nearing high season