Spot ethylene markets rally on diminishing supply in Asia, Europe
Uptrend kicked off earlier in Asia than Europe
Having rebounded from their record-low levels in the second half of April, spot ethylene prices on CFR China basis have extended their gains into the fourth week. According to ChemOrbis Price Wizard, spot prices jumped $320/ton or 90% within this period.
Spot prices on FD NWE basis, on the other hand, turned upwards by early May after seeing their lowest levels since ChemOrbis started to compile data in 2007. Spot prices gained $161/ton or 53% in the past two weeks, ChemOrbis data also show.
What causes a rally after several months of declines?
The rally in both markets have been mainly supported by diminishing supply. While the Asian market has been tightening in line with some cracker shutdowns in China and Japan, the European market has faced some some shutdowns at a few regional crackers along with an unplanned outage at Borealis’ Sweden cracker. The company declared a force majeure on output from its Stenungsund cracker with 625,000 tons/year of ethylene production capacity in early May.
To track the most updated ethylene production news, please see PE Production News.
In addition to supply issues, there have been some other supportive factors for the rally in spot ethylene prices.
Strong naphtha prices in Asia, Europe
According to ChemOrbis data, spot naphtha prices on CFR Japan and CIF NWE basis closed the week that ended on May 22 at their highest levels since early March, triggered by strong crude oil futures.
Robust China demand adds to firming in Asia
Market players have been reporting that ethylene demand from China has been robust since the end of the long Labor Day holiday on the back of high operation rates in the downstream styrene, ethylene oxide, and PVC plants.
June C2 contracts expected to reverse course after 3 months
In Europe, ethylene contracts for March, April and May were all settled with monthly decreases of €50/ton, €200/ton and €100/ton, respectively. However, market expectations for June are mostly calling for an increase.
Considering firmer energy costs and spot monomer prices throughout May, monthly hikes of up to €50/ton are expected in the next monomer outcome.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Tight supply drives HDPE, LLDPE gains in Southeast Asia
- European PE markets set for 2nd bullish month on rising costs
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East
- Polymer demand cools in Turkey: Is price correction ahead for PP, PE and PVC?
- China’s rising PET trend takes a pause, but longer-term outlook remains firm
- Uptrend in China’s import PP market continues but cautious mood returns