Spot naphtha prices rise to 3-month high in Asia, Europe
Volatile crude weighs on prices in Q4 2018
According to data from ChemOrbis Price Wizard shown below, spot naphtha prices on a CFR Japan basis and a CIF NWE basis fell below $500/ton in late December last year, marking the first time prices slipped down the threshold since 2017.
The multi-month low naphtha prices were largely driven by the fluctuating crude oil prices. The pullback in global oil prices began in October 2018 amid signs of oversupply and economic uncertainties. As can be seen in ChemOrbis Price Wizard data above, WTI and Brent crude oil prices plunged more than 40% over the span of just two months.
Recovery in crude reflected in naphtha in the last two months
However, the OPEC’s production cuts helped WTI and Brent crude oil futures rise by as much as 30% above their late December lows and optimism arising from the ongoing US-China trade talks has also provided a boost to prices.
In addition to the strong gains in global crude oil futures, the generally healthy demand in Asia and Europe was also cited as a contributing factor to higher prices.
Prices up by around $85-90 from multi-month lows
The weekly average of spot naphtha prices in Asia has increased by $85/ton from late December 2018, when prices hit a 17-month low, and it is currently reported at around $540/ton CFR Japan. European spot naphtha prices have also risen by around $90/ton from more than a year low level recorded in late December and they currently stand at around $525/ton CFR NWE.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Local PP, PE offers for July track global uptrend in Saudi Arabia
- Initial ABS prices for July see larger increases than PS in Europe
- Supply constraints spark stronger PE trend than PP in global markets
- ABS, PS uptrend falters in China after H1 2020 ends at multi-month highs
- Stats: China’s total PP imports spike in May; Vietnam and India’s rising shares shine out
- Tight supply drives HDPE, LLDPE gains in Southeast Asia
- European PE markets set for 2nd bullish month on rising costs
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?