Spot propylene moves in opposite directions in Asia and Europe
Asian markets show signs of recovery
Spot propylene prices on CFR China basis embarked on a slate of increases by the middle of May this year and have recently rose to their highest since February. Prices on FOB South Korea basis also perked up following a period of volatility in late June.
What drove prices up?
Tighter supply stemming from the planned and unplanned shutdowns in May and June helped buying interest return to the market. As can be seen in ChemOrbis Production News, propylene plants in the Asia-Pacific region have a busy schedule of maintenance this month, with capacities over a million tons of propylene per year slated to be offline until the end of the third quarter.
Among the producers that will start a turnaround is the Taiwanese major, Formosa Petrochemical. The company will shut its steam cracker with 515,000 tons/year of propylene capacity by next month, possibly tightening the market if the current firm demand continues.
European markets paint a different picture
Unlike the markets in Asia, the European spot propylene market has been under the pressure of the weak demand and comfortable supplies since early June. The weekly average data obtained from ChemOrbis Price Wizard show that prices on FD NWE basis recently fell to their lowest levels since December 2018.
Declining spot prices already reflected on July contracts
The downturn in the spot market has already found a reflection on July propylene contracts as they settled with a €80/ton ($91/ton) decrease in Europe in late June.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Turkey’s PP and PE markets propelled to a firm start to H2 despite vulnerable conditions
- Asian PVC sees V-shaped recovery in Q2, what will Q3 bring?
- Will capacity additions cast cloud on ethylene upsurge in Asia?
- US PVC offers in Egypt rise steadily but resistance grows in tandem
- PE buyers’ resistance grows in SEA; duty-free origins more competitive than Mid-East
- Polymer demand cools in Turkey: Is price correction ahead for PP, PE and PVC?
- China’s rising PET trend takes a pause, but longer-term outlook remains firm
- Uptrend in China’s import PP market continues but cautious mood returns
- Hikes in Asia July PVC offers baffle some buyers, further rally under discussion
- Optimism is rising on resurgent demand in European polymer markets