Spot propylene moves in opposite directions in Asia and Europe
Asian markets show signs of recovery
Spot propylene prices on CFR China basis embarked on a slate of increases by the middle of May this year and have recently rose to their highest since February. Prices on FOB South Korea basis also perked up following a period of volatility in late June.
What drove prices up?
Tighter supply stemming from the planned and unplanned shutdowns in May and June helped buying interest return to the market. As can be seen in ChemOrbis Production News, propylene plants in the Asia-Pacific region have a busy schedule of maintenance this month, with capacities over a million tons of propylene per year slated to be offline until the end of the third quarter.
Among the producers that will start a turnaround is the Taiwanese major, Formosa Petrochemical. The company will shut its steam cracker with 515,000 tons/year of propylene capacity by next month, possibly tightening the market if the current firm demand continues.
European markets paint a different picture
Unlike the markets in Asia, the European spot propylene market has been under the pressure of the weak demand and comfortable supplies since early June. The weekly average data obtained from ChemOrbis Price Wizard show that prices on FD NWE basis recently fell to their lowest levels since December 2018.
Declining spot prices already reflected on July contracts
The downturn in the spot market has already found a reflection on July propylene contracts as they settled with a €80/ton ($91/ton) decrease in Europe in late June.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- Asia PET markets stay soft as supplies accumulate amid seasonal lull
- Price gap between PVC and HDPE pipe shrinks in Vietnam
- Spot C3 prices in Europe and Asia fall to new lows as supply lengthens
- European PE prices at a decade low, eroding demand for recycled grades
- US HDPE, LLDPE fall below $800 in Turkey; does further weakness lurk ahead?
- SE Asia’s import homo-PP market sinks to 3-and-a-half year low
- PVC market in China suffers larger declines than in India
- African PE markets hit historical lows on greater competition from US supply
- Italy’s PVC market takes a downward turn in Nov following ethylene
- Turkey’s import PP market hovers around 3-year low as activity stays depressed