Spot propylene prices retain strength across globe
In Europe, concerns regarding availability issues as well as planned shutdowns of major producers across the region including Total, Dow Chemical and BP Refining and Petrochemical pushed spot prices higher. ChemOrbis Price Wizard reveals that spot propylene prices on FD NWE basis have witnessed a cumulative increase of €50/ton in the past eight weeks on average, hitting a more than two month high.
In Asia, steady increases in spot propylene prices, which have been in place for the past three weeks, emerged in line with better demand for downstream PP and the ongoing tightness issues. According to the weekly average data from ChemOrbis Price Wizard, spot propylene prices on FOB Korea basis have cumulatively climbed $50/ton within this period, reaching their highest levels since the second half of February.
In the US, the firming trend in the spot propylene market, which also kicked off three weeks ago, continued on the back of strengthening demand as well as production issues. The US is also the region where the largest gains have been reported so far as ChemOrbis Price Wizard shows a weekly increase of around $56/ton currently, with spot prices moving back towards their highest levels since mid-March.
More free plastics newsPlastic resin (PP, LDPE, LLDPE ,HDPE, PVC, GPS; HIPS, PET, ABS) prices, polymer market trends, and more...
- June expectations surface in Mid-Eastern, African polyolefin markets
- China’s local PVC market retreats from 8-month high
- Initial June PE offers to SEA signal firming despite buyers’ resistance
- Firming in ethylene lags behind propylene in Europe
- PET rally stalls in China after prices hit four-and-half-year high
- Asian PS retains firming path on supportive upstream
- June PE outlook under discussion in Europe
- Taiwanese major lowers June PVC offers to Asia despite firm China
- Local PP markets cautiously firmer in Vietnam, Indonesia
- Global ethylene prices continue to defy energy rally